Logistics and Equipment Lead – Job Vacancy
Reporting to: Food Supply & Systems Manager
Location: Flexible – regular travel to Deptford, London and occasional UK wide required
Hours: Full time (35 hours) Remuneration: £27,000 – £30,000 pro rata for fixed term
Contract: Fixed Term to 31.03.20
FareShare is a national charity fighting food poverty by tackling food waste. We source food that is surplus to requirements – from food retailers and manufacturers – and engage many volunteers to help redistribute this to local charities and community groups that provide meals to vulnerable people (individuals who are homeless, unemployed, socially isolated, recovering from addictions). FareShare now operates 24 warehouse depots around the UK and supports over 11,000 charities and community groups – our Community Food Members.
Main purpose of this role
This is an exciting new role at FareShare to push our in bound logistics operation to the next level. FareShare is experiencing fast volume growth and as such needs to manage our transport efficiently. This role will help develop our logistics strategy, identifying opportunities to streamline our transport and logistics operations to find the most efficient routes to distribute food to our network in a timely, cost effective way, whilst still ensuring a fair distribution of food to our network of 21 Regional Centres.
The post holder will have opportunities to work closely with leading transport and logistics providers and act as the relationship lead, progressing our relationships with the haulage industry to help us achieve our goals and at the same time dovetailing national with local transport solutions.
This role will also be critical to enabling FareShare to distribute more surplus food through the efficient management of equipment. Many foods are distributed in multi use returnable equipment e.g. trays, roll cages etc. As our volumes grow it is important that our food partners have confidence that we will manage their equipment responsibly. This role will further develop our approach to ensure that we have appropriate systems and processes in place to receive and return any equipment received from our food partners
We are looking for someone with experience of the logistics and transport industry, ideally in the food industry, who is innovative and analytical and enjoys coming up with new solutions. This is also a great opportunity for someone who also enjoys relationship management and working with partners to achieve joint goals. This is a new position within FareShare, the postholder will enjoy autonomy but also opportunities to work closely with other departments and our network of Regional Centres. The role is initially externally funded for a fixed term but if successful we will look to secure further funding if possible.
– Identify opportunities to streamline our logistics operations, to identify cost savings, redistribute product more quickly or reduce our food miles – Work with the Food Coordination Team to identify optimum transport solutions according to circumstance – Expand our capacity to store and distribute ambient and frozen foods – Support the expansion of our regional food sourcing and logistics models – Work closely with the finance team and other members of the Food Team to manage budgets and financial reporting – Build up database of food partner haulier relationships to build our understanding and identify logistics efficiencies
– Act as the relationship lead for existing haulier and equipment management relationships – Work with existing partners to ensure good levels of service provision and opportunities for cost reduction – identify any process issues to be resolved to support accurate and safe receipt and handling of food – Identify new potential relationships with hauliers, including identifying key contacts and driving progress through face to face meetings – Work with logistics companies to identify opportunities for any surplus in their own operations
Equipment management – Manage a project to enable FareShare to count, receive and return retail equipment such as trays, dollies and cages – Work closely with the Operations Team to establish policies and best practice around receiving, storing, and returning equipment for our Regional Centres – Work closely with the Commercial Managers on progressing opportunities to receive food in trays from across the food industry
The post holder may be required to support other projects from time to time
Skills and experience
– High levels of motivation, drive and tenacity in order to push forwards progress in new areas – Strategic and able to piece together smaller initiatives into a bigger picture – Good problem solving ability using logical, pragmatic and evidence based approaches
-Ability to develop excellent working relationships, including great communication and presentation skills
-A great team player, since this role will require working closely with many different teams
– Good organisational skills and ability to keep plates spinning whilst keeping a focus on longer term activities
– Able to work under own initiative and own steam
– Analytical with an ability to analyse data and build reports is an advantage, to be able to learn from and report on various initiatives
– Able to present FareShare professionally with pride and act as an ambassador
– Proactive in suggesting process improvements or creative solutions to challenges
– Financially literate able to work within a budget
– IT literate with good standard of excel, word and PowerPoint
– Experience of working within the transport and logistics sector for a minimum of 2 years, preferably within the food industry, is essential
– Experience of managing projects is highly desirable
– Experience of account management is highlight desirable, including giving presentations
– Knowledge of and interest in Sustainable Development, Corporate Social Responsibility and experience of its application within the business environment
Competencies and Behaviours (Essential)
? Good oral and written communication skills
? An understanding of, and passion for, the mission and values of FareShare
? Able to demonstrate respect for work colleagues and FareShare beneficiaries
? A positive and “can-do” attitude
If you believe you have the ambition, drive, and skills to help Fare Share to continue the fantastic work that they do please visit their website https://fareshare.org.uk/ for details on how to apply.